Resources for international faculty members and researchers
All links except those marked [External] lead to pages on UTokyo websites.
This page is maintained by the Office of Research Strategy and Development.
Visa & status of residence
- Visa Consulting Service | Website for International Students
Consultation is free. Proxy applications for certain types of immigration applications are for a fee.
- Housing Office
Information listed here includes accommodations for international students and those for international researchers (including faculty members).
Japanese language education
- Center for Japanese Language Education
- Portal Site for UTokyo Japanese Language Education
Some Japanese language programs offered at UTokyo are exclusively for international students, while others are open to international researchers (including faculty members), and in some cases, also their spouses.
Access to medical information
- Inbound Medical Assistance Service (IMAS) | Website for International Students
*Please scroll down to reach the section about IMAS
This is a 24/7, 365 days-a-year phone service that helps you access medical information, such as finding a clinic or translating conversations with the doctor over the phone. To use it, an international researcher or faculty member must sign up in advance and pay the fee.
- UTokyo Website for International Students
- International Student Handbook
These are aimed at international students, but some of the information may also be useful to international researchers, such as that on topics related to daily life and disaster preparedness.
- Guidebook on Living and Working in Japan - Immigration Services Agency [External]
Published in multiple languages for foreign residents in Japan. Topics covered include: municipal office procedures, employment, childbirth & parenting, education, medical services, pension & welfare, tax, traffic, and emergencies & disasters.
Problem-solving consultations & counseling services
- Foreign Residents’ Advisory Center & Tokyo Multilingual Consultation Navi (TMC Navi) [External]
Offered by the Tokyo Metropolitan Government, these phone services offer help in multiple languages including English and Chinese. There are offices that can help you with daily life problems, legal matters, and visa-related questions.
- International Student Support Room (ISSR)
Despite its name, this office can help not only students but also researchers and faculty members from abroad. Personal counseling for psychological and mental health issues is provided by staff trained in counseling. You can also consult the ISSR when faced with more practical problems in your daily life.
- TELL Japan Lifeline & Counseling [External]
Counseling services offered in English.