Graduate International Research Students

International Research Students

Admission Information for Graduate International Research Students (kenkyusei) for 2024

Last updated: June 2, 2023

A Graduate International Research Student (kenkyusei) is an international student admitted to the Graduate School of Science to study a specific subject under the supervision of a faculty member. Note that a "kenkyusei" is not entitled to receive any degree or qualification on completion of the program. If you wish to apply for admission as a candidate for a Master's or doctoral degree, see "Graduate Admissions Information" at:

1. Qualifications for Applicants

One who holds foreign citizenship and who meets one of the following three qualifications listed below.

  1. One who has completed, or is expected to complete 16 years of education abroad before enrolling the University of Tokyo as a Graduate International Research Student.
  2. One who has been conferred a degree equivalent to that of a bachelor's degree or is expected to be conferred one before enrolling the University of Tokyo as a Graduate International Research Student from a foreign university or other foreign institution (limited to those whose comprehensive status of education and research activities have been assessed by the government of the said foreign country or a related organization), having completed a program with a completion period of three years or more.
  3. One who has been approved by the Graduate School of Science of the University of Tokyo as being academically equivalent or superior to a college graduate.

Those who apply as an Embassy Recommended Monbukagakusho Scholarship - hereinafter referred to as MEXT Applicants - for 2024 must meet one of the conditions1.-3. listed above and in addition must also have passed the preliminary selection organized by the relevant Japanese Embassy or Consulate General.

2. Application Period

* Please check the respective period carefully and prepare all the application documents listed in 3.

  1. From July 1 to 17:00 on August 25, 2023, by Japan Standard Time (GMT+0900): for applicants wishing to enroll on April 1 or October 1, 2024, as Embassy Recommended Monbukagakusho (MEXT) Scholarship Students
  2. From October 25 to 17:00 on November 15, 2023, by Japan Standard Time (GMT+0900): for applicants wishing to enroll on April 1, 2024, as Self-Supported Students
  3. From April 26 to 17:00 on May 13, 2024, by Japan Standard Time (GMT+0900): for applicants wishing to enroll on October 1, 2024, as Self-Supported Students

Note: All application documents must arrive by the designated time and date of the application period.

3. Application Documents

Prepare all of the application documents listed below, and upload 1. in Excel format as it is and 2. through 10. in a single scanned PDF file.

Note: Before submitting an application, please contact a potential supervisor and obtain his/her consent to supervise you. The consent obtained here is the consent to be your supervisor if you are accepted and does not guarantee your acceptance.

  1. Application for Admission as a Graduate International Research Student
  2. Confirmation of degree or certificate of (expected*) graduation/completion issued by the university(ies) or college(s) attended (must state the name of the degree).
    * If you are expected to complete your current degree program after the application period, you must submit an official statement of expected graduation/completion issued by your university. In this case, successful applicants will be required to submit a certificate of graduation/completion officially issued by your last university attended, at the time of enrollment.
  3. Transcript of academic record issued by each of the university(ies) or college(s) attended.
  4. Recommendation letter written and signed by your current supervisor or individual who is familiar with your academic or scientific work.
  5. Study Program(Form provided)
  6. Proof of your prior consultation with the potential supervising professor at the Graduate School of Science, such as a copy of correspondence emails.
  7. Statement of balance of your bank account (only required for Self-Supported Students)
  8. Financial Plan Questionnaire(Form provided, only required for Self-Supported Students)
  9. Certificate of preliminary selection issued by the Japanese Embassy/Consulate General (only required for MEXT applicants for 2024)
  10. Payment confirmation of Examination Fee
    Please refer to the section below for the details of payment confirmation.
    Payment confirmation of the Examination Fee
    Submit a screen capture of the "Result" page if using the e-shiharai online payment option.


  • You need to attach a Japanese or English translation issued by the university if the document is not written in either of these languages.
  • To view the above required documents (PDF files), you need "Adobe Reader" which may be downloaded from the Adobe site

4. Examination Fee

9,800 yen

NOTE: Payment is possible only during the designated application period. Make sure to select "Graduate School of Science", "Admission for Graduate International Research Students", and "Graduate International Research Students JPY9,800" in the dropdown selection boxes. Note that these choices will not appear before or after the application period, when you cannot make a payment for this application.

5. Application Submission Method & Contact Address

For your submission to be considered, you must upload all application documents to the designated URL in the manner described below. Note that we cannot accept submissions via email or of a different file format.

How to submit your application:

Scan and upload all of your application documents to the designated URL, following all of the instructions below:

  1. Your submission file must be in PDF format. Scan and combine all of your application documents into one single PDF file.
  2. The file name must include the applicant's first and last names.
    (Example - If your name is Jane Ann Bethany Catherine Smith, the file name should be: JaneSMITH_ApplicationDocuments.pdf )
  3. Upload your submission file to the URL for your application category before the application deadline as follows: * Files uploaded before the beginning of the application period or after the end of the application period will not be accepted.
  4. After uploading your file, immediately email the Graduate School Office at the following email address, letting us know of your submission including the name of the file that you have uploaded. (We will email you back in six business days, upon confirming that we have indeed received your file.)

NAME Graduate School Office
Graduate School of Science, The University of Tokyo
TEL +81-3-5841-4626
(*Do not send your application by email. When emailing us, please clearly indicate "Kenkyusei" or "Research Student" in your email title.)

6. Selection Result

Applicants will be notified of the results at the following times:

  1. As soon as the decision has been made: for applicants (MEXT applicants for 2024) wishing to enroll on April 1 or October 1, 2024
  2. January, 2024: for applicants (Self-Supported Students) wishing to enroll on April 1, 2024
  3. July, 2024: for applicants (Self-Supported Students) wishing to enroll on October 1, 2024

7. Period of Enrollment

Normally the period of enrollment for a Graduate International Research Student is six months, but applications for an extension of this period are possible. The total period as a Graduate International Research Student cannot exceed 2 years*.

*NOTE: For the Embassy Recommended Monbukagakusho (MEXT) Scholarship period, please be sure to check the
published on MEXT's official website.

8. Other Important Points

  1. All submitted documents and your Application Fee are non-returnable.
  2. A Graduate International Research Student (Self-Supported Student) is required to pay the admission fee and tuition fee after being admitted to the University. The current charges and fees are as follows (as of April 1st, 2023).
    1. Admission Fee : 84,600 yen
    2. Tuition Fee : 173,400 yen (for 6 months)
    Successful applicants will be informed of the payment deadlines and procedures for 1. and 2. There are no tuition waivers for Graduate International Research Students.
  3. Graduate International Research Students are not in general eligible to purchase discount commuter passes or receive other student discounts
  4. The University of Tokyo has established the "The University of Tokyo Security Export Control Regulations" in accordance with Japan's "Foreign Exchange and Foreign Trade Act", and rigorously screens prospective international students based on these regulations.  The University assumes no responsibility for cases in which admission cannot be granted or desired research activities are restricted, such as when the regulations apply or when a Certificate of Eligibility is not issued based on the judgment of the Immigration Services Agency. Details can be obtained from the following website: Office of Export Control (Japanese only)

9. FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

Q I would like to apply for Master's or Doctoral course. How can I apply?expand_more

A You can apply directly for the Master's/Doctoral course for international students without first being a "kenkyusei". You can also take the general entrance exam for Master's/Doctoral course in competition with Japanese students and foreign students who reside in Japan.

Q Are there any university scholarships available at The University of Tokyo?expand_more

A There is a scholarship called the "Support Fund for International Students' awarded by The University of Tokyo Foundation, to which International Research Students are also eligible to apply. The stipend is 50,000 yen per month, and given for one year from April or for six months from October. Typically, one student (selected from Master's Course, Doctoral Course, and International Research Student candidates) from the Graduate School of Science receives this scholarship each year.
The details can be found in the following website (Japanese):

Q Are there any scholarships available from private foundations for which I can apply before arriving in Japan?expand_more

A There are only few scholarships research students can apply for before coming to Japan. Also, most of the scholarships are for students who are enrolled in Master's and Doctoral programs rather than for research students (kenkyusei). Even international students enrolled as degree candidates find obtaining scholarships to be quite difficult. Therefore, we recommend that if required students should obtain scholarships before leaving their own country.

Q How can I apply for a Monbukagakusho Scholarship by Embassy Recommendation?expand_more

AStudents can obtain both the application form and detailed information at the Japanese Embassy/Consulate in their own country. (The University of Tokyo does not have the application forms.) The application form and all other required supporting documents must be submitted to the Japanese Embassy/Consulate General.
Further details can be found by referring to the generalApplication Guidelines - Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship for 2024 (Research Students) published by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) of Japan, which can be obtained from MEXT's official website :