Welcome to the homepage of UTRIP (the University-of-Tokyo Research Internship Program). We launched the program in the summer of 2010 as a campaign to accelerate the internationalization of the campus. UTRIP is a program open to overseas students who are seriously thinking of pursuing a higher education in the fields of natural science and engineering at the University of Tokyo. It is not a "summer school"; it is an introductory program to the research environment. The main goal of UTRIP is to "inspire and motivate students to pursue careers in science." To enrich the research experience, UTRIP offers social and cultural programs, including a Japanese language course and a field trip to a historical site in Japan. UTRIP will be an academic and personal adventure for you. Your academic perception will improve and your cultural horizon will also be enriched through this program. UTRIP will be a truly life-changing experience for you.
Message from the International Team
At the International Team, Academic Affairs Group, we recognize that the importance of an education program with a truly global perspective is increasing in response to the acceleration of globalization. And we now live in a world of increasingly interdependent nations and cultures, regardless of our careers and occupations.
One of the International Team's responsibilities is to provide students with opportunities to experience the language and different values of a culture different to their own. We believe that through such experiences students will learn how to communicate across the barriers posed by custom, geography, and politics. Students will be able to enhance the skills that enable them to work on and analyze issues such as interacting in and between multiple cultures.
UTRIP is an academically and personally challenging adventure. The campus is situated in the very center of Tokyo, one of the most metropolitan cities in the world. Although it is a very sophisticated and modern cosmopolitan city, Tokyo still retains its historic landmarks, and Tokyoites are proud of their traditional manners and customs. UTRIP, however, is not just an ordinary summer school offering students the opportunity to experience a foreign culture and learn a foreign language. The objective is to provide an opportunity where students carry out an original research project under the guidance of assigned mentors at the Hongo campus at UTokyo. Through a full-time commitment, students will be able to improve their research skills and develop the skills to collect, interpret and analyze data. UTRIP will be helpful to students not only in terms of personal development, but also in terms of their academic career. Whatever your future holds, the time you spend here will be an undeniable asset.
We look forward to hearing from you and receiving your application.
Voices from UTRIP participants
- Meet peer from all over the world, enjoy the sensation of making new discoveries, and open your door to Japanese culture and excellent people!
- UTRIP was an amazing cultural, as well as academic, experience. I met people from all over the world who are interested in the same things as I am, and some of whom I am still friends with today.
- Once in a lifetime experience, from both a research and cultural aspect. Could not recommend it enough!
- It was an amazing experience for me. I got to work with outstanding research groups. Apart from that getting introduced to the Japanese culture was very exciting for me. I enjoyed everything very much. I would recommend UTRIP to all undergraduate students.
- UTRIP has been an amazing experience. Having the opportunity to involve yourself in the world of research and at the same time being able to explore the Japanese culture and its cities, makes you grow as a scientist and as a person.
- I would 100% recommend this Internship to anyone who is passionate about science, and is ready to learn a wonderful culture full of surprises.
- UTRIP is an excellent way to experience what science research is like whilst still having time to visit a new country and enjoy yourself in your free time! I absolutely loved Tokyo and would highly recommend applying!
- UTRIP is a fascinating program when you, as a young researcher want to experience the wonder of Japan along with the wonder of science.
- By immersing in Japanese culture and researching with frontier science, the summer vacation is as gorgeous as the fireworks in the sky, on the day of natsu matsuri in Tokyo.
- It is a kind of experience that you will not forget in your life.
- Applying to the UTRIP Program was one of the best decisions I've ever made. I had a wonderful summer exploring the city of Tokyo, making new friends from all over the world, and working with some incredible researchers in the field.
- UTRIP has become a community of people of pursuing their dreams. They not only focus on their own research but also care about others.
- UTRIP is an amazing program; I had such a fun experience. You have the freedom to explore Tokyo and surrounding areas whilst engaging in really engaging and well supported research.
- UTRIP has been an incredible experience! I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in getting academic experience while expanding cultural horizons.