Request for Certificates and Transcripts

Request for Certificates and Transcripts


Applications for certificate issuance are accepted Mail only. but cannot be issued during the office closing period.

Please note that even if you apply, various certificates will be issued after Student Affairs,School of Science, office opens.

Last updated: July 13, 2020

– For current students:

  • Certificate of Enrollment (in both English and Japanese)
  • Academic Transcript (in both English and Japanese)
  • Certificate of Expected Program Completion (Master's Degree, in both English and Japanese)
  • Student Travel Discount Certificate (Gakuwari) (in Japanese)

These documents are issued immediately from the certificate-issuing machines. Your User ID is necessary to use the machines. Your User ID is written on the Password Notification, which is sent to you with your Student ID Card.

– For Graduate School/Faculty of Science graduates:

  • You can apply for certificates online, and you can choose one of the following methods to receive them:
    1. In person at the Graduate School Office:

      Some identification must be presented (e.g. student ID card, driver's license, or passport) to receive certificates. If a proxy comes to receive certificates in place of you, a proxy form must be filled out.

    2. By post:

      Send a self-addressed stamped envelope to the address shown below. For up to 4 certificates, use an 84-yen stamp. The address on the envelope must be the applicant's own address or the family address of the applicant in Japan. If you wish to receive both undergraduate and graduate certificates in one envelope, inform us in writing in the comment box in the application form.

      Graduate School Office, School of Science, the University of Tokyo 7-3-1, Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-0033

      (For applicants abroad)
      • If you cannot obtain Japanese stamps, buy international reply coupon(s) at a post office and send it/them to us with a self-addressed envelope.
      • Make sure that the postage for the self-addressed envelope will cover the expected weight of the envelope. Unused stamps/coupons will be sent back to applicants.
      • One international reply coupon is equivalent to 130 yen.
  • Be certain that all the necessary information has been properly entered before sending an application form. Incomplete forms will not be accepted. (The box for the Student ID Number may be left blank.)
  • In principle, current students should use one of the certificate-issuing machines located on the University campuses. If the applicant is working at an affiliated facility located far away from the University, however, the applicant may apply online.
  • Office hours of the Graduate School Office are 10:00 – 12:00 / 13:00 – 15:00 on weekdays.
  • Please allow 2 business days for the issuance of certificates in Japanese (7- 10 days in English).
  • Certificate Application Form

* Notes:

  • Double check your application form before submitting it.
  • Inquiries about certificates should be made to the Graduate School Office at
  • This application form should be for the Graduate School/Faculty of Science use only. Applications from other Graduate Schools/Faculties will not be accepted.