The following is a list of frequently asked questions. If you have any other questions, please contact us here.

What should I do to acquire a Russian visa?
The STEPS Office will take care of the visa application procedure for you. To apply for the visa, please submit the following documents.
  • Your original passport
    Passport must contain at least a blank 2-page spread and has to be valid for no less than one and half years from the entry date to Russia.
  • One ID photograph to be attached to the application form
    The size of the photograph must be 4.5 × 3.5 cm, which is the same as a standard passport photograph.
    Photographs taken in profile or wearing sunglasses or a head covering are not acceptable.
* If your nationality is not Japanese, other documents may be required.
How long does it take to acquire a Russian visa?
The visa application procedure will be started after an acceptance notification is sent to the applicant. Generally, the visa can be obtained within 10 weeks* from the start of the application procedure.

* If your nationality is not Japanese, please contact us for further information as it may require a longer period. Please also note that we will keep your original passport for a few weeks at the last stage of the procedure.

Can I buy an airline ticket by myself?
No. Please do not buy the airline ticket because it will be arranged by the STEPS Office.
How do I find accommodation?
In principle, the host university will prepare a dormitory or other accommodation for participants. In some cases, the STEPS Office may provide accommodation. In any case, participants are not expected to find accommodations by themselves.
Can I receive financial support from other programs such as a scholarship system?
Yes, you can. However, the funds should only cover research expenses, living costs, etc. that you do not receive from this Program. If necessary, you can apply for various scholarship programs such as JAPAN SOCIETY FOR THE PROMOTION OF SCIENCE (JASSO) ( http://www.jasso.go.jp/study_j/index_e.html ). For further information, please contact the STEPS Office.
What should I do if I cannot find a desired faculty, major or professor at the host university?
Begin your search from the fields of study you are interested in. You may also consult your supervisor, etc. to seek advice.
According to the application guideline, the applicant should submit a copy of any score certificate obtained for TOEFL, IELTS, TOEIC, EIKEN or other English proficiency exams. What should I do if I have not taken such exams?
The above instructions apply only to applicants who have taken such exams. Otherwise, please describe your English skills in your statement of Purpose for application.