To apply for this program, you must be a graduate student at the University of Tokyo and have enrolled in one of the following departments
- Department of Physics, Astronomy, Earth and Planetary Science, or Chemistry in the Graduate School of Science
- Department of Applied Physics, Graduate School of Engineering
- Department of Mathematical Sciences, Graduate School of Mathematical Sciences
You must also fulfill all of the requirements below:
- You aim to acquire a PhD degree in the physical or mathematical sciences (in the broad sense of the term)
- You are interested in broadening your horizons and working with researchers outside of your specialist field
- You are interested in the influence of basic science on social innovation, and are eager to actively learn about this topic
- You fully understand the purpose of FoPM, as well as the course requirements and other rules, and will cooperate with activities related to FoPM
- You intend to enroll in the Doctoral program at one of the above-listed departments
- You agree to apply for the JSPS Research Fellowship for Young Scientists, and should you be accepted, you also agree to stay in FoPM (This requirement does not apply for students awarded Japanese Government (Monbukagakusho) Scholarships)
- You are eager to gain experience abroad and to apply for the JSPS Overseas Challenge Program for Young Researchers or other relevant programs
- You understand and agree to the fact that your PhD diploma will bear a note saying that you have completed FoPM
- In principle, you may not simultaneously apply for FoPM and another WINGS program or Program for Leading Graduate Schools. However, students from the Graduate School of Science may apply for both FoPM and the International Graduate Program for Excellence in Earth-Space Science (IGPEES), and students from the Graduate School of Mathematical Sciences may apply for both FoPM and World-leading Innovative Graduate Study for Frontiers of Mathematical Sciences and Physics (WINGS-FMSP).
- You must not apply for FoPM if you are planning to find business employment when you finish your Master's degree.