- Associate Prof. Yusuke Obuchi of the Department of Architecture (School of Engineering, UTokyo) continues to collaborate with Gramazio Kohler Research in the Department of Architecture (ETH Zürich) on the “Maison Suisse 2021” project, which is funded by the Swiss government and Swiss and Japanese industrial sponsors. Prof. Obuchi and his collaborators will design a pavilion for the event, which will be constructed in Omotesando, Tokyo, and open to the public in summer 2021. They are also planning a talk event in collaboration with Swissnex, part of the Embassy of Switzerland in Japan, to showcase Swiss and Japanese researchers from all academic fields.
- Prof. Robert Campbell of the Department of Chemistry (School of Science, UTokyo) has an ongoing collaboration with Prof. Daniel Razansky, who has a double appointment at the Faculty of Medicine (UZH) and the Department of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering (ETH Zürich). They published a paper together in Nature Methods in 2019.
- March 16 - 18
- A paper by Mr. Dejun Mao, a first-year Master's student, and Dr. Hidefumi Hiraishi, Assistant Professor in the Graduate School of Information Science and Technology (UTokyo), in collaboration with Mr. Patrick Schnider, a Doctoral student from ETH Zürich, was accepted by the 36th European Workshop on Computational Geometry in Würzburg, Germany. Mr. Mao planned to give a talk at the workshop, but was unable to travel because of the current circumstances, so Mr. Schnider gave the talk. Mr. Schnider spent 1 week at UTokyo in 2018, when he was invited to give a talk at the Department of Computer Science lecture series.
- February 6 - 7
- Prof. Yasuhiro Sakemi of the Center for Nuclear Study (School of Science, UTokyo) and Prof. Klaus Kirch of the Department of Physics (ETH Zürich) participated as reviewers in the external advisory board meeting for an international particle physics collaboration using ultra cold neutrons at TRIUMF, Canada's particle accelerator center. They took the opportunity to discuss the progress on their collaborative development of a magnetometer.
- July 8
- Prof. Hiroko Akiyama of the Institute of Gerontology (UTokyo) gave a presentation on the topic of “Ageing Society” at a luncheon meeting for the Swiss Economic and Scientific Mission to Japan led by the Swiss Federal Councillor Guy Parmelin. Her presentation was followed by a lively discussion. The invitation was arranged in collaboration with Mr. Thomas Meyer, Head of the Science & Technology Office Tokyo of the Embassy of Switzerland in Japan.
- Associate Prof. Yusuke Obuchi of the Department of Architecture (School of Engineering, UTokyo) is collaborating with Gramazio Kohler Research in the Department of Architecture (ETH Zürich) on a project organized by the Swiss government to design and build a pavilion for the House of Switzerland, which will be constructed for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. They regularly hold video conferences to exchange ideas and better understand each other's research results.
- March 15
- Prof. Naoto Sekimura, Vice President of UTokyo, and Prof. Hiroaki Suga of the Department of Chemistry; Dr. Satoru Nogami, Senior URA; and Dr. Kate Harris, URA, (all three of the School of Science, UTokyo) met Mr. Thomas Meyer, Head of the Science & Technology Office Tokyo of the Embassy of Switzerland in Japan, to discuss future ideas regarding the strategic partnership between UTokyo and ETH Zürich.
- The Center for Nuclear Study (School of Science, UTokyo) is preparing an application for the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) Core-to-Core Program and plans to invite Prof. Klaus Kirch of the Department of Physics (ETH Zürich) to be one of the core institutions in a counterpart country. Continued support for academic exchange with ETH Zürich will strengthen the exchange carried out under this program and is thus an important part of the proposal.
- Dr. Rainer Schmidt of F. Hoffmann-La Roche, Ltd. was elected as a Fellow of the Faculty of Engineering at UTokyo. Dr. Schmidt has participated in and contributed to the creation of the strategic partnership between ETH Zürich and UTokyo as a representative of the Swiss industrial sector.
- October 30
- A manuscript on research carried out in collaboration between Associate Prof. Hirokazu Sugiyama of the Department of Chemical System Engineering (School of Engineering, UTokyo) and F. Hoffmann-La Roche, Ltd. was accepted for publication by AIChE Journal, which is published by the American Institute of Chemical Engineers. The first author of the article is Mr. Gioele Casola, who graduated from ETH Zürich and is now a doctoral student in Prof. Sugiyama's group.