Application Period for Fall 2017: January 10, 2017 – 17:00, April 7, 2017 (JST)
(Only the Department of Chemistry is accepting applications)
Applicants are required to read and to understand the following application guidelines carefully and prepare the required documents before completing any part of the application form.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the form has been completed as required and that there are no mistakes.
- Complete all sections using only numbers, basic symbols, and English letters.
- Make sure to write your personal statement in advance and copy and paste it in the box provided.
- The online application system only allows filled information to be saved at the end.
- Once submitted, you cannot make changes to your application, and we will not respond to any requests asking to change any part of the form.
Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions or technical difficulties.
The online application form consists of the following sections.
- Personal Information
- Educational Background
- English Language Qualifications
- Personal Statement
- Additional Information
- Application Fee
- Required Documents
1. Personal Information
You are required to provide the following personal information. It is your responsibility to provide the latest information and to notify the GSC Administration Office promptly if anything changes.
- Personal Data： Enter all personal data exactly as it appears on your passport or other official documents. (e.g. birth certificate, family register)
- Mailing Address: Provide the latest mailing address as all official documents will be sent to this address.
- Phone Number: Provide your home and/or cell phone number beginning with an international country code.
- Email: Provide an email address that you check regularly as this will be used for all correspondence.
(To ensure you receive our emails, please add and to your address book or safe senders list in your email account.)
2. Educational Background
You are required to provide all Post-Secondary and Secondary Institutions you attended listing from the most recent (from present to 7th grade).
- Post-Secondary Education: University/College information
- Secondary Education: High School/Senior High School & Middle School/Junior High School information
3. English Language Qualifications
- You are required to answer the following questions.
- English is your native/first language.
- English was the language of instruction at your Post-Secondary and Secondary Schools for last 8 years.
- Applicants who do not fulfill either i. or ii. criteria must submit at least one of the following English proficiency test results.
- Scores must be less than two years old at the time you submit your application.
|English Proficiency Test||Minimum Score||Details|
Institution code: 6298
Institution name: University of Tokyo Global Science Course
|IELTS Academic||6.5||GSC Administration Office
School of Science
The University of Tokyo
7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-0033
|Cambridge English: Advanced(CAE)||Grade C|
- It is your responsibility to ensure that you have requested for the official score(s) to be sent directly to the GSC Administration Office where necessary.
- Official scores must be sent and received by the GSC Administration Office before the application deadline.
- You may request for the official scores to be sent before the application period.
4. Personal Statement
- The personal statement will enrich the application as it provides additional information to further discover and evaluate applicants. It is important that the statement demonstrates your ability to develop and communicate your thoughts.
You are required to provide a personal statement in English that addresses the following questions. (1,000-word limit)
- The reason you wish to apply to the Global Science Course at the University of Tokyo.
- Describe and discuss any academic experiences or challenges faced during your undergraduate study that influenced your intellectual growth, how you overcame it and/or lessons you learned.
- Your interest in pursuing Chemistry as a major and what academic as well as future goals you have set for yourself.
5. Additional Information
- You are encouraged to list any significant academic achievements or awards/honors you have received, as well as any extracurricular activities (volunteer/employment) in which you have participated.
You are required to provide the contact information of two of your academic evaluators from your current university.
Evaluator A Professor Evaluator B Professor or Academic advisor
- The system will contact your evaluators via email to request for evaluation forms. They will receive an email with a link to complete and submit an evaluation to the GSC Administration Office.
- A confirmation email will be sent to you and your evaluators once evaluation forms are successfully submitted.
- Please discuss with your evaluators first to ensure they are willing and able to provide an evaluation for you. We do not accept any changes in evaluators once your application has been submitted.
- Both evaluation forms must be submitted to the GSC Administration Office before the application deadline.
7. Application Fee
- You are required to click the “Pay Application Fee” button to pay a non-refundable ‘Application Fee: 10,000 Japanese Yen (+432 Japanese Yen processing fee).’
- Once you are directed to the credit card online payment system, please select "Examination Fee" followed by "The University of Tokyo (GSC)" to pay.
- Payment can only be made by a credit card.
- Please save and upload the payment receipt to ‘8. Required Documents’ section.
8. Required Documents
- You are required to prepare and to submit all required documents by uploading them.
- All documents must be submitted in English (along with the unaltered, original documents).
- If the documents are not in English, they must be translated and certified by the school official or official institutions.
- Once admitted, original documents (not scanned copies) must be submitted via postal mail for enrollment purposes.
- All application documents submitted will not be returned under any circumstances.
The scanned copies of all transcripts (for a, b, and c) must include:
- Name of institution
- Year of admission
- Year of graduation
- List of courses completed and currently in progress
Course titles, grades and credits (for university transcripts) must be included.
- Enrollment Verification Certificate is required to verify your student status at your current institution.
The scanned copy of the certificate must include:
- Name of institution
- Year of admission
- Expected graduation date
- The syllabus for all courses you have taken that were offered by the School of Science (or any other science related schools) at your current institution are required.
The scanned copies of course syllabus must include:
- Course title
- Course description
- Class hours
- Textbook information (author, title and ISBN)
- Credit accreditation method
- The above information must be clearly indicated by highlighting it on each syllabus.
- If your syllabus does not include all information listed above, extra information with a confirmation signature from your school/department must be provided.
- The scanned copy of your passport photo ID page is required.
- If you have multiple citizenships, copies of all your passports must be submitted.
- The receipt for the application fee payment you made at ‘7. Application Fee’ section is required.
- At the end of the online application, you are required to sign the declaration electronically.