Information for International Researchers


The University of Tokyo recognizes the importance of a positive transition for your accompanying partner and family. The International Offices (Hongo, Komaba and Kashiwa) can help provide information on employment resources, educational opportunities and general inquiries. They offers general assistance and support to facilitate the search for employment on campus and in Japan.

1. Obtaining Visas for Family Members

If your family will join you in Japan after your arrival, you should act as a guarantor and apply on behalf of the overseas family member(s) for a Certificate of Eligibility in order to obtain a "dependent" status of residence. The following documents are required when applying for the certificate. The immigration Bureau may, at its own discretion, request submission of other documentation as well, such as a statement of purpose of co-habitation or a copy of your bankbook.

  • Application for Certificate of Eligibility
    (available at the Immigration Bureau)
  • Two ID photos of the relevant family members taken within the last 6 months
    (4 cmH × 3 cmW) , plain background
  • Self-addressed envelope with a 380 yen stamp
  • Documents certifying the family member's relationship with you
    (ex. marriage certificate<spouse>, birth certificate<child>)
  • Copy of your Alien Registration Card or passport
  • Documents certifying that the family member will have sufficient financial means to live in Japan
  • A copy of the applying family member's passport
  • Your taxation certificate

2. Status of Residence

Please tell your family member to acquire a "Dependent Visa" at the Japanese embassy or consulate in your home country. Although a Dependent Visa does not allow the holder to work, if the family member acquires a "Permission to engage in activity other than that permitted under the status of residence previously granted," he or she can work up to 28 hours a week.

Alternatively, your family member can acquire a "Temporary Visitor's Visa" and have it switched to a "Dependent Visa" within 90 days after arrival in Japan. The status of residence as a "Temporary Visitor" does not allow the holder to work, and the holder cannot acquire a "Permission to engage in activity other than that permitted under the status of residence previously granted" either.

Dependent Daily living activities on the part of the spouse or child(ren) who are dependent on those who stay in Japan with a status of residence as a professor. 3 years, 2 years, 1 year, 6 months or 3 months
Temporary visitor Sightseeing, recreation, sports, visiting relatives, inspecting or visiting facilities, attending lectures or other meetings, business liaison or other similar activities during a short period of stay in Japan. 90 days, 30 days, or 15 days

*The status of residence as a "Temporary Visitor" does not allow the holder to work, and the holder cannot acquire a "Permission to engage in activity other than that permitted under the status of residence previously granted" either.

3. MEXT Mutual Aid Association

The MEXT short-term benefit plan is the equivalent of medical and nursing care insurance, its long-term benefit plan is the equivalent of a pension. Allowances are granted to members and their family (dependents) for illness, injury, childbirth, death, leave of absence, disaster, etc. Dependents eligible for the Association's benefits and services are defined as individuals who depend mainly on the member's income for subsistence and who are any of the following relatives of the member:

  • Spouse (including common-law spouse), child, parent, grandchild, grandparent, or sibling of the member.
  • Third-degree relative of the member who is not included in (1) above but is part of the member's household.
  • Parent or child of the member's common-law spouse who co-resides with the member

Documentation required to prove eligibility

In order for an individual to be approved as an eligible dependent, the member is required to submit documentation attesting to the individual's receipt of financial support from the member, and the individual's need for that support. Examples of such documentation include a certificate of tax exemption, a certificate of enrollment, a notice of pension revision, etc.

4. Family allowance

Family allowance is paid to regular employees who have dependent relatives. MEXT and JSPS researchers cannot receive family allowance and housing subsidy from the university. To learn the detailed requirements for payment of these allowances, please visit the Employee Compensation Office.

5. Support for Family by the ICAR

International Center Advising Room provides support for not only foreign researchers but also their families. They provides orientation for newly arrived family to obtain useful information for daily life in Japan. For detailed information about their services, please visit the website.

6. Search for a job

Those who have the visa status of "Dependent" are not permitted to get a full-time job; however, it is possible for them to take a part-time job for a limited time if they are able to obtain temporary work permission from the Immigration Office. The permitted spouse can work for a maximum of 28 hours per week.

Part time jobs information

Tokyo Employment Service Center for Foreigners 03-5339-8625
Shinjuku Foreigner's Employment Assistance and Guidance Center 03-3204-8609
Kimi Information Center 03-3986-1604