Information for International Researchers


The nearest subway stations to the Hongo campus are Hongo-Sanchome on the Marunouchi Line, Todai Mae on the Nanboku line and Yushima or Nezu on the Chiyoda line. For more information about the Hongo area, please take a look at the HONGO area map.

1. Commuting allowance

If you live more than 2 km from the University/Institution and you commute using public transport, you may be eligible for a commuting allowance. The amount covered will be the least expensive route available, up to a specified maximum. Please note that the JSPS does not provide a commuter allowance.

2. Commuter pass

If you need to travel the same route often, commuter passes and multiple tickets are very economical. When buying a commuter ticket, you can choose to buy a PASMO or SUICA Commuter pass instead of a conventional one. If you pay fares for public transportation (train or bus) to commute, or if you use a mode of transportation (automobile, motorcycle, or bicycle) for a distance which is 2 kilometers or more if walked, the University pays a commuting allowances into your bank account in addition to your salary. Please submit the designated form to the Human Resources Office.

3. Prepaid cards

PASMO and SUICA are rechargeable pre-paid cards that can be used on public transportation throughout the Kanto area. These cards automatically calculate the fare when held against the scanner at the destination ticket gate. PASMO and SUICA cards can be purchased at train stations, bus company business offices, etc. PASMO can be charged in 1,000 yen units at train station ticket machines and PASMO charge machines. Newly-purchased PASMO card requires a 500 yen deposit. The deposit will be refunded when the PASMO card is returned. These cards also can be used at shops and automatic vending machines within stations and at shops where PASMO or SUICA cards are accepted.

4. Trains

Train networks in Tokyo comprise JR lines, private lines and subway lines. At each train station, electronic information boards tell you the arrival time and destination of the next available train. Some information is also displayed in English. The JR Yamanote Line and many other private lines that run through central Tokyo offer frequent service. It usually requires a wait of between 3 to 10 minutes to catch the next train, although the waiting time may be slightly longer in early morning and late at night. You may pick up a free timetable of local services at each station. Nationwide timetables are available at bookstores. You can also use an online transportation search to check routes, fees and travel time to your destination.

  • Tokyo Metro Customer Relations Center
    • Phone : 03-3941-2004

5. Taxis

Taxis can be found at designated taxi stands at stations and public facilities, or hailed along the street. The passenger door opens and closes automatically. Fares vary according to the size of the cab. The initial charge in Tokyo is typically 710 yen for the first 2 km. After that, the fare goes up according to the distance and the time taken and varies according to the time of day. Usually a 30% surcharge is added between 23:00 and 5:00.

  • Nihonkotsu Taxi service (limo)
    • Phone : 03-5755-2336

6. Driver's Licenses

To drive a car in Japan, you can either obtain an international driver's license overseas before arriving in Japan or transfer your overseas driver's license to a Japanese driver's license. An international driver's license is valid for one year after entry into Japan or until the international driver's license expires, whichever comes first. You will not be able to renew your international driver's license in Japan. To continue driving in Japan after that, you will need to transfer your regular overseas driver's license, if it is still valid, to a Japanese driver's license.

Renew your driver's license

If you have a license issued in Switzerland, Germany, France, Taiwan, Italy, or Belgium, you can drive a car in Japan for one year from the date of your entry with a Japanese translation attached to the original license. Such translation has to be issued by either the embassy/consulate of the country concerned or by the JAF (Japan Automobile Federation).

Remember to renew your license before it expires. The expiration date is indicated on your license.

  • Valid driver's license issued overseas
  • Japanese translation of your driver's license
  • Certificate of Alien Registration
  • Passport
  • One photo taken within the last six months (3.0 × 2.4 cm)
  • License fees Ordinary passenger
    • vehicle: 4,500 yen
    • Motorcycle: 5,050 yen

7. Registration of bicycles

Before riding a bicycle you should complete the theft prevention registration. The registration procedure can be handled at the shop where you buy the bicycle. Registration is valid for 5 years. Please be sure to keep the receipt if receiving a bicycle from a friend; it is necessary to have the friend make a written statement confirming he/she has given you the bicycle, and then register it in the new owner's name at a bicycle store.

Bicycle Parking Corrals on Campus

Bicycle racks and parking corrals are provided throughout the Hongo Campus. All bicycles used on campus must be licensed with the University. Register your bike at the Co-op 2 counter. The application form is distributed at the office of each department.