Information for International Researchers


International researchers can apply for the following accommodations through Todai. Accommodations run by the university and other institutions generally charge less rent than privately operated rental properties, but their popularity makes it difficult to accommodate all requests for rooms. If you want to apply for a room in the International Lodge, you can send an application six months in advance. Please contact the Administrative group in the Accounting section through your contact person at the University for information about vacancies in the University's dormitories. For more information on the accomodations, please visit the website.

1. Short-term Accommodations

Sanjo Conference Hall Single 6 4,800 Up to
2 weeks
7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku Reservaton Desk
+81-3-5841-2320, 2330
Twin 1 9,800
Sanjo Conference Hall Tatsuokamon Annex Single 14 4,300 Up to
3 months
7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku Reservaton Desk
+81-3-5841-2320, 2330
Twin 4 5,900
Mukougaoka Faculty House Single(s) 2 4,500 Up to
3 months
1-1-1 Yayoi, Bunkyo-ku +81-3-5841-8495
Single 10 5,900
Twin 2 8,900
Komaba Faculty House Single(s) 12 6,000 Up to
3 months
3-8-1 Komaba, Meguro-ku +81-3-5454-4418
Twin 1 9,000
Twin 1 10,000

2. Long-term Accommodations

Oiwake International Lodge 1-12-8, Mukougaoka, Bunkyo-ku Accommodation fee 64,800(M) Two weeks to one year
Utilities and Internet fees 14,000 (M)
Communal-area service charge1,500 (M)
Shirokane International Lodge 4-6-41 Shorokanedai, Minato-ku Entrance Fees 19,950-38,850 Two weeks to one year
Accommodation fee 9,600 -33,000 (M)
Komaba International Lodge 4-6-29 Komaba, Meguro-ku Entrance Fees 14,700 Two weeks to one year
Accommodation fee 18,600
Utilities: Water Rates 1,500 (M)
Electricity Rates 1,050 (M)
+ usage charges
Internet Access Fees 2,730 (M)
Common Service Fees 1,500 (M)
Tokyo International Exchange Center 2-2-A Aomi, Koto-ku Entrance Fees 52,500-112,500 Up to two years
Accommodation fee 52,500-112,500 yen (M)

3. Private Accommodations

If you plan to rent a privately owned house or apartment, it is convenient to use the services provided by Co-op or housing agents. Based on individual preferences such as rent, property size or commuting methods, the agents can list and give you the information on suitable rental properties. If you'd like to use Co-op Accommodation service, please visit Co-op shop No.1 at the Faculty of Law and Letters Bldg.2, or go directly to co-op online accommodation information request form page (Japanese only).

Please confirm in advance with the real estate agent what is necessary. The items shown at left are standard necessary documents.

  • Alien registration (Gaikokujin toroku shomeisho)
  • Certificate of income (Shotoku shomeisho)
  • Guarantor (Hoshounin)

4. Moving

It generally costs as much as five to six months' rent for an initial down payment to rent a property. The cost includes the first month's rent, security deposit (shikikin), key money (reikin) and agency fee.

In principle, the security deposit (shikikin) should be returned to you by the landlord when you move out of the property. Natural wear and tear is normally the landlord/landlady's responsibility. If you have any disputes with the landlord/landlady over your shikikin, you may consult the National Consumer Affairs Center or a local Consumer's Center. To instruct the rental housing industry and to reduce any related disputes, the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport has established guidelines on the responsibilities for the restoration of rental properties. The Bureau of Urban Development of Tokyo has also established the Rental Housing Conflict Prevention Act.

Housing search tips
I. Key money (reikin)

It's a "gift" to the owner so it's not refundable. To show your appreciation for allowing the owner to let you live in their building. A tradition which started after World War when there was a lack of homes. Lately however, there are more and more apartment owners who have stopped insisting on this fee.

II. Deposit (shikikin)

When you leave the apartment, the deposit will be used to repair any damages and to clean the apartment and whatever is left should be refunded. It is therefore very important that you check the apartment carefully when moving in together with the real estate agency, noting down anything imperfect about the condition of the apartment. If there is any damage, the real estate agent should confirm and document it before you move in. This will help you to avoid any trouble related to the deposit refund later.

III. Real Estate Commision (chukai tesuuryou)

The law specifies that it should not exceed one month's rent, plus 5% tax.

IV. Maintenance Fee (kyoeki hi)

Expenses for the facilities to be used in common with other tenants, such as electricity for gate lamps and elevators, and cleaning expenses, should be paid every month in addition to rent.

V. Rent (yachin)

In principle, rent should be paid in advance. This means that the rent for May should be paid by the end of April. Generally the rent is automatically transferred from your bank account. To arrange this you need to go to the bank and fill out an application for "automatic withdrawal." Otherwise, you can go directly to the bank each month to transfer the money. In some rare cases, the rent is paid directly to the house owner, in such a case be careful to keep receipts of payment.

VI. Guarantor (Hoshounin)

When you rent a house, you need a guarantor. If you are not able to pay the rent or room repair expenses, the guarantor will take the responsibility. It is best to ask your Japanese host researcher to serve as guarantor. If you can not find anyone, there are special companies that will be guarantors for a fee. However, not all owners will accept the use of such companies so if you plan to do this, please consult the real estate agent first.