The University of Tokyo Research Internship Program (UTRIP) is a summer internship program for students majoring in natural science and other relevant fields. The program will provide students with an opportunity to gain the experience of "real graduate-school life" or "research-centered life." UTRIP is a gateway to pursuing an advanced degree and experiencing academic life at UTokyo. The program will be a good trial for students to test their aptitude for rigorous graduate study in the natural sciences. Participating students will closely work with leading researchers of the Graduate School of Science (GSS) at UTokyo. In addition to an opportunity for an outstanding scientific research work experience, the program includes off-campus activities such as a field-trip to a historical site in Japan, and social and cultural events to promote a better understanding of Japanese culture and build a good relationship with current students at UTokyo. Lectures on cross-disciplinary scientific areas are also part of the program.
At the conclusion of the program, students are required to make an oral presentation and submit a report on the research project. Participants who are highly evaluated by the faculty members will be given priority when applying for the GSS scholarship.
Features of UTRIP
- A research project program with full-time commitment.
- Participants will have an opportunity to get involved in research at the frontier of natural science.
- As part of the program, students will read published research articles pertaining to their projects, and participate in laboratory meetings with their faculty advisors.
- Financial support: All participants except for those receiving the FUTI Award will receive the GSS Scholarship, which includes air fare support, free housing, and a stipend. For details check the Financial Support page.
- Students will visit a historical site in Japan.
- Specially-arranged Japanese language course will be available.
- Participants who successfully complete the program will be awarded a certificate from the school. Those students who are highly rated by faculty members will be given priority for a scholarship when and if they apply for one at our school in the future.
Highlights of UTRIP
Please access to the following website for the program details and photo gallery.