Research activities conducted at the Graduate School of Science, including joint research with other universities, are funded mainly by Japanese government ministries, domestic science-related foundations, and other universities. To receive research grants, researchers submit proposals to the relevant ministries/foundations/universities on an individual/research group basis. In addition to the grants mentioned above, there are domestic/international prizes and awards that provide scientists with financial support to encourage them in the pursuit of their research.
Major Funding Sources:
- MEXT (Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology)
- METI (Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry)
- MAFF (Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries)
- MLIT (Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism)
- MIC (Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications)
- Ministry of Environment
- MHLW (Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare)
Prizes and Awards
Researchers who accomplish outstanding research achievements are given domestically/internationally prestigious prizes and awards for their contributions to the development of science and technology. For further details on the prizes and awards that have been presented to graduates/faculty of the GSS, please click here.