History

1877

The origin of the Faculty of Science was the Institute of Western Learning of the Tokugawa shogunate. The Tokyo-Kaisei School and the Tokyo-Igakko (Tokyo Medical School) were merged to form the University of Tokyo.

The College of Science was established comprising eight departments: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry (theoretical chemistry, applied chemistry), Biology (zoology, botany), Astrology, Engineering (mechanical engineering, civil engineering), Geology, and Metallurgy. The Koishikawa Botanical Garden became an affiliated facility of the College of Science, the University of Tokyo.

1886

The name of the University of Tokyo changed to Teikoku Daigaku (Imperial University) in accordance with the Imperial Ordinance No. 3.

The College of Science was to comprise seven departments: Mathematics, Astrology, Physics, Chemistry, Zoology, Botany, and Geology. The Misaki Marine Biological Station was established.

1897

The name changed to Tokyo Teikoku Daigaku (Tokyo Imperial University) in accordance with the Imperial Ordinance No. 208.

The Misaki Marine Biological Station was moved to the Koajiro Castle site location.

1902

The Botanical Garden Nikko branch was established.

1907

The Department of Geology was divided into two Departments: Geology and Mineralogy.

1919

The Imperial Ordinance No. 13 was issued under which the College of Science became the Faculty of Science; the Department of Geography was established; the Department of Astrology was renamed the Department of Astronomy; and the Departments of Theoretical Physics and Experimental Physics were merged to form the Department of Physics.

1923

The Department of Seismology was established within the Faculty of Science.

Prof. Kakichi Mitsukuri,
(1898-1904, First Director of the Misaki Marine Biological Station, an adjunct to the Faculty)

Marine Biological Station founded at Irifune,
Misaki Town (circa 1893)

1939

The Department of Anthropology was established.

1941

The Department of Seismology was expanded to create a separate Department of Geophysics, bringing the total number of departments to 11.

1947

Renamed as the Faculty of Science, University of Tokyo.

1949

The National School Establishment Act was promulgated, under which it was re-established as the Faculty of Science, University of Tokyo comprising five departments: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Earth Sciences.

1958

The Department of Biochemistry was established. The Geophysical Observatory was established.

1967

The Courses of Physics, Astronomy, and Geophysics of the Department of Physics were respectively renamed the Departments of Physics, Astronomy, and Geophysics, as part of the expansion and reorganization of the Department of Physics.

1970

The Information Science Laboratory was established.

1974

The High Energy Physics Laboratory was established.

1975

The Department of Information Science was established. (The Information Science Laboratory was abolished.)

1976

The Center for Spectrochemistry was established.

1977

The Laboratory of International Collaboration on Elementary Particle Physics was established with a term of seven years, converted from the High Energy Physics Laboratory.

1978

The Meson Science Laboratory was established with a term of ten years.

The Laboratory for Earthquake Chemistry was established.

1984

The International Center for Elementary Particle Physics (ICEPP) was established with a term of ten years.
(The Laboratory of International Collaboration on Elementary Particle Physics (LICEPP) was abolished due to the expiry of its term.)

1984

The Meson Science Center was established with a term of ten years.
(The Meson Science Laboratory was abolished due to the expiry of its term.)
The Institute of Astronomy was established.

The main entrance of the main building completed in 1936
(Misaki Marine Biological Station adjunct to the Faculty)

The old entrance of East Chemistry Building of the Faculty of Science

Chemistry classroom plates of the Faculty of Science

1990

The Department of Geophysics and the adjunct Geophysics Research Laboratory were reorganized to form the Department of Earth and Planetary Physics.

The Center for Spectrochemistry was reorganized as the Research Center for Spectrochemistry with a term of ten years.

1992

Under the policy to emphasize postgraduate studies in the science field, seven postgraduate courses, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Zoology, Botany, Anthropology, Geology, and Mineralogy were organized/established in the School of Science.

The Graduate School of Mathematical Sciences was independently established for the mathematical postgraduate courses.

1993

Five postgraduate courses, Information Science, Physics, Astronomy, Earth and Planetary Physics, and Geography were organized/established, to complete all 12 postgraduate courses in the School of Science.

1994

The International Center for Elementary Particle Physics (new ICEPP), University of Tokyo was established, while the International Center for Elementary Particle Physics (old ICEPP) was abolished due to the expiry of its term.

1995

Three biology-related postgraduate courses for Zoology, Botany, and Anthropology were integrated to form the Biological Sciences postgraduate course.

1997

The Center for Nuclear Study was established as an adjunct to the Graduate School of Science.

(The Meson Science Center was abolished due to the expiry of its term.)

1998

The Misaki Marine Biological Station, the Botanical Gardens, the Geochemical Research Center, the Research Center for Spectrochemistry, and Institute of Astronomy, adjuncts to the Faculty of Science, were transferred to the Graduate School of Science to become its adjunct facilities.

The Graduate School of Science West Wing Building was completed.

Click here for the booklet prepared at that time.

1999

Research Center for the Early Universe was established.

2000

The four postgraduate courses, Earth and Planetary Physics, Geology, Mineralogy, and Geography were reorganized into the Earth and Planetary Science Postgraduate department.

2001

The Postgraduate Department of Information Science was transferred to the Department of Computer Science, the Graduate School of Information Science and Technology.

The term of the Research Center for Spectrochemistry was extended.

The Undergraduate Program for Bioinformatics and Systems Biology was launched with a term of five years.

2004

The University of Tokyo was incorporated as a national university corporation.

The term of the International Center for Elementary Particle Physics, University of Tokyo was extended.

2005

The Faculty of Science Center Building 1 Central Wing was completed.

The Center for Ultrafast Intense Laser Science was established.

The Actuary and Statistics Program was launched.

2006

The Department of Earth Sciences was reorganized into the Department of Earth and Planetary Environmental Science.

2007

The Department of Bioinformatics and Systems Biology was established.

2008

The Molecular Genetics Research Laboratory, an affiliated facility of the University of Tokyo, was transferred to the Graduate School of Science to become its adjunct facility.

Aerial photograph of Misaki Marine Biological Station

Experiment of gas-to-solid condensation in circumstellar environments using a vacuum infrared oven

exBldg1

Northwestern face of former School of Science Building 1 before demolition

his_img13

Science Gallery
(1st floor, Center Wing, School of Science Building 1)