Academic Staff Exchanges (Invitations)
- July 30
- Prof. Hans Jakob Wörner from the Department of Chemistry and Applied Biosciences (ETH Zürich) participated as a speaker in the “International Symposium on Attosecond Science,” which was hosted by UTokyo.
- July 27-30
- Prof. Gisbert Schneider of the Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences (Department of Chemistry and Applied Biosciences, ETH Zürich) visited UTokyo to act as a member of the examination committee for the final examinations of doctoral candidates in the Department of Chemical System Engineering. He also met Prof. Mamoru Mitsuishi, Dean of the School of Engineering, and gave a lecture at an open seminar for faculty members and students.
- July 5
- Dr. Rainer Schmidt, Head of the Kaiseraugst site at F. Hoffman-La Roche Ltd., and Dr. Markus Mattern, Head of Sterile Manufacturing, visited UTokyo. F. Hoffman-La Roche Ltd. is a Swiss company with close links to both ETH Zürich and the Department of Chemical System Engineering (School of Engineering, UTokyo). They met Prof. Mamoru Mitsuishi and Prof. Tatsuya Okubo, Dean and Vice Dean of the School of Engineering, respectively, and gave a lecture at an open seminar organized by the Department of Chemical System Engineering.
- March 22-30
- Prof. Emo Welzl, Deputy Head of the Department of Computer Science (ETH Zürich), was invited to the Graduate School of Information Science and Technology (UTokyo) to discuss collaborative research and academic exchange with Prof. Hiroshi Imai.
- March 10-11
- The former president of ETH Zürich, Prof. Ralph Eichler, was invited to visit UTokyo. He met Prof. Makoto Gonokami, President of UTokyo, and Prof. Ken Furuya, Executive Vice President responsible for International Affairs. He then discussed university management and innovation at ETH Zürich with Prof. Hiroaki Aihara, Executive Director and Vice President; Prof. Naoto Sekimura, Deputy Director of the Division of International Affairs; Prof. Kaoru Yamanouchi, Vice Dean of the School of Science; Prof. Toshinori Mori from the International Center for Elementary Particle Physics (ICEPP); and Associate Prof. Hirokazu Sugiyama from the School of Engineering. He also visited ICEPP and the Kavli Institute for the Physics and Mathematics of the Universe (Kavli IPMU) to meet Prof. Sachio Komamiya and Prof. Hitoshi Murayama, respectively.
- December 1-5
- Prof. Uwe Sauer of the Institute of Molecular Systems Biology (Department of Biology, ETH Zürich) was invited to UTokyo to give a seminar for the research group of Prof. Shinya Kuroda of the Department of Biological Sciences (School of Science).
- November 23-27
- Prof. Gisbert Schneider of ETH Zürich visited Japan for the second time this year. As well as giving an invited lecture at the International Chemoinformatics Symposium, he took part in an open seminar organized by the Department of Chemical System Engineering (School of Engineering, UTokyo). He also met and talked with researchers in related fields.
- August 14
- Dr. Philip Eversmann, Head of Education at the National Centre of Competence in Research (NCCR) Digital Fabrication, which is managed by four Swiss universities and research institutions including ETH Zürich, visited the research group of Associate Prof. Yusuke Obuchi in the Department of Architecture (School of Engineering, UTokyo). A new Master’s course on Architecture and Digital Fabrication that will be established in the Department of Architecture at ETH Zürich prompted them to discuss the current state of Master’s courses in the field of architecture.
- March 4-6
- Prof. Gisbert Schneider of the Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences (Department of Chemistry and Applied Biosciences, ETH Zürich), who is also a Fellow of the School of Engineering (UTokyo), visited UTokyo and held discussions with Prof. Mamoru Mitsuishi and Prof. Tatsuya Okubo, Dean and Vice Dean of the School of Engineering, respectively, and Prof. Kimito Funatsu. He then gave a seminar on chemical systems engineering and two seminars for the Funatsu research group, and met and talked with researchers in related fields.
- February 19-20
- Prof. Donald Hilvert, Head of the Department of Chemistry and Applied Biosciences (ETH Zürich), and Prof. Jeffrey Bode, Head of the Laboratory of Organic Chemistry (ETH Zürich), visited the School of Science (UTokyo), where they paid their respects to the then dean of the school, Prof. Makoto Gonokami. Afterwards, they gave talks at a symposium in the Department of Chemistry and talked with young researchers. Later, Prof. Hilvert and Prof. Bode attended a meeting with Prof. Kaoru Yamanouchi, Vice Dean of the School of Science, and Prof. Hiroaki Suga, Head of the Department of Chemistry, to discuss the strategic partnership between UTokyo and ETH Zürich.